History

Unique in its situation, within the perimeter of the world famous racecourse, the cricket ground at Ascot nestles amongst a wide expanse of heathland. Therefore a welcome atmosphere of peace and tranquillity has been created in this delightful setting.

On Tuesday 24th July 1883, the Ascot Cricket Club obtained permission from Queen Victoria to form a cricket club on the Heath and a preliminary meeting was held at the Grand Stand. Owing to the unavoidable absence of H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught, the Earl of Cork and Orrory took the chair.

It was decided that the existing club be reconstituted and called the Royal Ascot Cricket Club. It was recommended that members subscriptions should be moderate so as to allow all classes to join.

Two years elapsed before the ground became fit for play, during which time H.R.H The Duke of Connaught had become President, and a long list of distinguished subscribers was headed by Vice Presidents H.R.H. Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein K.G., and Lord Cork.

The Heath was occupied by the Air Force for the duration of the First World War, but the enforced neglect was soon put right and the 1920s was a period of re-establishment for the club. There was also at this time the re-introduction of tennis, football and hockey on the Heath. A new and larger pavilion was officially opened by H.R.H The Duke of Connaught on 8th September 1934. The old pavilion was sold for £1.

Thanks to the generosity of the Ascot Authority and with the help of soldiers serving in Ascot, cricket was kept going throughout the Second World War.

In 1952, Sunday cricket was introduced onto the Heath and from 1958 onwards, membership steadily increased and Royal Ascot Cricket Club became one of the strongest club sides for miles around.

In 1964, Keith Salter made news by being the first to achieve the double of 100 wickets and 1,000 runs and team captains were for many seasons blessed with formidable batting , bowling and fielding sides. The demand for modern facilities led to the building of the current pavilion which was officially opened by His Grace The Duke of Norfolk in 1967.

Throughout its history, Royal Ascot Cricket Club has been greatly indebted to the Ascot Authority for their continual co-operation and assistance. Captain The Hon. Sir E.N.C. Beaumont K.C.V.O., past President, took an active interest in the club and the current CEO, Guy Henderson is now President of the club.

Over the years the club has toured to Jersey, Ireland and the Cotswold and played host to visiting sides such as the Australian Crusaders and 29ers, and the Italian champions. Capenelli. In the club’s formative years they played some imposing fixtures including Quidnuncs, Lords and Commons, Zingari, Butterflies, Wisps and Orleans Club.

Many members have given an outstanding contribution to the club, but mention must be made of Mr. Bill Allen who had been a member since 1932. He scored thousands of runs has variously been General and Match Secretary, Treasurer and Chairman.

in 1983 the R.A.C.C celebrated its centenary with a Cricket week of matches. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was presented to the teams of the R.A.C.C and The President’s XI.

The club has been playing in the Thames Valley League since 1992, in which it fields four teams on Saturday. Teams also play on Sunday and there are many mid week games.

Captain Beaumont welcomes Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother

Captain Beaumont welcomes Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother

RACC being presented to The Queen Mother

RACC being presented to The Queen Mother

RACC 1936

Advertisements